St Petersburgh Place | Bayswater | London W2 4JT
T +44 (0) 20 7229 2631 | F +44 (0) 20 7229 2355 | E firstname.lastname@example.org
The background music to this page is "Shenizkeh", composed by Rabbi Geoffrey Shisler and performed by him at a concert held to celebrate the 125th Anniversary of the Synagogue in February 2005. A CD of the concert is available from the Synagogue office.
On the 30th June 2010, BBC London reported on an English Heritage survey on the many places of worship in London which are in need of repair, and Rabbi Shisler was interviewed in the Synagogue for part of the film.
Click here to go to the BBC London website and see the film. Rabbi Shisler and the NWES appear after 1 min 25 secs of the film.
The New West End Synagogue is among the most beautiful and historic buildings of Jewish interest in England and visitors are most welcome to view the magnificence of our Grade 1 Listed Building. (Click here for pictures).
Our Central London location is very convenient for tourists visiting London, who are assured of a warm welcome to all our services and events.
The Foundation Stone of the New West End Synagogue was laid on June 7th. 1877 by Mr. Leopold de Rothschild in the presence of the Chief Rabbi, Dr. Nathan Marcus Adler, and the building was formally opened on March 30th. 1879. The total cost of construction, including the site, amounted to £24,980 which was raised by private contributions and with the help of the United Synagogue, of which the New West End is a constituent Synagogue.
The building bears many similarities to the Princes Road Synagogue in Liverpool, which had been designed by the same architect, George Audsley, shortly before the New West End was planned. At the time of its opening, the Jewish Chronicle described the architecture of the building as "...eclectic, although based chiefly on the Saracenic. The sharply cut and channelled foliage ornaments, and both the round and pointed horseshoe arches point to this origin; while the fusion of the Gothic element is mainly apparent in the proportions and disposition of the main portions of the buildings, and in...the rose windows and circular, foiled, clerestory lights. The entire treatment...avoids symbolism of every description, and the severe conventionalism...prevents any infringement of the rules of the Hebrew faith. Externally, the building is constructed of red brick, with the leading ornamental portions in red stone...the central gable rising to the height of about 77 feet is flanked by two square turrets 94 feet in height finished with open tabernacles and domes...In the central gable is placed a magnificent doorway deeply recessed and elaborately ornamented. The doors are of teak hung with bold wrought iron hinges...The seating, which affords accommodation for about 800 persons throughout, and the doors and gallery fronts are of polished pitch pine; the doors and panels of the gallery fronts display wood of remarkable richness and rarity. Probably no such wood is to be seen in any public building in London..."
As time went on, various alterations and improvements were introduced. During the 1890s the walls were faced with alabaster slabs relieved by the finest Cipallino marble from Saillin in the Rhone Valley. The marble and alabaster pulpit and the marble railing in front of the Ark were also installed, while the octagonal iron columns were covered in marble so skilfully that it is virtually impossible to distinguish them from solid marble. About the same time electric lighting was installed, replacing the original gas lamps, examples of which can still be seen inside the Synagogue above each of the doors.
A notable feature of the internal decoration is to be found in the texts that adorn the walls. This idea was not new, being found in mediaeval Synagogues. There were originally nineteen texts; at a later date those on the side walls of the Gallery were added. The texts concentrate on the ideas of Divine knowledge and worship, as well as practice, duty and love. Most of the quotations are from the Psalms, and were selected by the late Rev. Simeon Singer, Minister of the Synagogue from its consecration until his death in 1906.Click here to read Rabbi Geoffrey Shisler's Sermon for Shabbat 30th October 2004 describing these texts, based on the sermon delivered on the same subject by Rev Simeon Singer on Shabbat 26th October 1895. Click here to read Rabbi Shisler's lecture on the life of Simeon Singer.
The beauty of the Synagogue is enhanced by the magnificent stained glass windows, which were designed and made by N H J Westlake, one of the foremost authorities in England on stained glass windows and mosaics. The rose window above the Ark, executed by Erwin Bossanyi in 1937 in memory of Emma, Lady Rothschild, illustrates numerous aspects of Jewish ritual and tradition, while the centres of the side windows are all different, the framework remaining constant.
The Synagogue's treasures include some twenty Sifrei Torah, as well as superb examples of embroidery and silver, some dating back to the early eighteenth century; some of the Torah bells and breastplates which are not in regular use are on loan for display at the Jewish Museum.
Adapted from "The History of the New West End Synagogue" by the late Rev. Ephraim Levine, 1929.
For a more extensive history of the New West End Synagogue, the subject of a lecture by Elkan Levy, click here. For a more detailed analysis of the architecture, read the English Heritage Grade 1 citation by clicking here.